Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hospital Update---Sunday, October 4


Sunday, October 4th (also known as---Day 15!!!)

Let’s see here….

Zachary was taken off his ventilator and put onto high flow oxygen through his nose. He has been slowly weaned off of the high flow, and put onto normal oxygen support through is nose. He is deciding that he doesn’t like the tube in his nose, so he is continually taking it off. The doctors have decided to let him take it off, but have blow by oxygen (in a tube near his face) to keep his oxygen at the appropriate level.

The chest tube and the IJ (deep IV line) were taken out and he is looking better with less tubes coming out of his body!

He still has his central line and his stomach tube. The stomach tube is still open and draining from his two surgeries. So until that tube stops that massive amounts of drainage he won’t be able to use the tube to try and feed. His central line will stay in place for another week or more. The only way he is getting his nutrition is through his central line. Until he can use his stomach tube (GJ Tube) he won’t be able to take that line out. The line is also very beneficial for blood draws, and extra pain meds if needed.

He is still having a hard time coming off of the high power sedation medication. He was taken off of two pain meds and he went through horrible withdrawals. Now, he is on another narcotic to help him overcome the withdrawals, which seems to help. Which means that he needs to be weaned off of that narcotic, slowly. He is still having some stomach swelling and pain from all the incisions, so morphine is helping with that. Let’s see…..we have roughly another seven to ten days here in Santa Clara. The doctors don’t want him to go far, and since his surgeon is here—that’s where we will stay. One doctor said her goal is to get him home by Halloween! I laughed and told her that was funny, and she said she was serious!!!! I have decided for sanity sake we will go with the other doctor who said seven or ten more days.

As always I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again for all the ways people are helping. All of the prayers, meals, gifts, donations, and random acts of kindness for our family are always appreciated and thanked!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad that he is feeling better! Paula keeps me posted and just sent me your blog. I too have a Zachary (he will be 3 in Dec).

I am thinking about your Zachary and you... I admire your strength and wonder if I could ever be so strong.